Supervisor - Accounting
Company: San Antonio Water System
Location: San Antonio
Posted on: January 15, 2019
Salary starts at $61,918.00 annually. Rate of pay depends on qualifications. Job Description JOB SUMMARY
The Supervisor - Accounting is responsible for performing various advanced level accounting functions. This position supervises a staff of accountants in the reporting of activities such as accounts receivable, fixed assets, financial transaction posting, and financial reporting.
- Prepares and supervises various general ledger functions such as journal entry preparation, month-end close, financial statement preparation, capital project budgets, and account reconciliations.
- Prepares monthly financial reports, special reports, and assists in the preparation of the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR).
- Analyzes and summarizes financial transactions to ensure integrity of data in the general ledger.
- Analyzes and reconciles grant transactions.
- Reviews and approves the financial reporting structures of the accounting system.
- Monitors and evaluates organizational activities that directly impact financial functions.
- Researches GASB and FASB pronouncements. Applies and interprets accounting laws, theory, concepts and practices.
- Compiles, interprets, and reviews financial data for external and internal users, including the external auditors.
- Provides guidance to staff by assigning, reviewing, and approving the work.
- Selects, develops, supervises, and evaluates performance of assigned staff.
- Validates data integrity for financial system upgrades and improvements.
- Develops, recommends, and implements departmental goals and policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls.
- Records and verifies various financial transactions and events in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Performs other duties as assigned.DECISION MAKING
- This position receives limited supervision.
- This position directly supervises the work of assigned staff.MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting or related field from an institution accredited by a nationally recognized accrediting agency.
- Five years' experience performing professional level accounting
- Three years' of financial reporting experience.PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Licensed as a Certified Public Accountant or Master's Degree in Business Administration or Accounting.
- Prior supervisory experience.
- Experience with Infor Lawson financial system.
- Experience with relational database concepts.
- Experience in governmental accounting.
- Ability to use automated accounting systems.
- Proficient PC skills in financial, word processing, and presentation software.Strong skills working with excel (i.e. Pivot tables, data mining and advanced formula creation).
- Strong intrapersonal communication skills with solid problem solving skills.
- Contact with internal and external customers and governmental agencies.
- Responsible for ensuring the proper recording of financial transactions of a consolidated entity with $650 million in annual revenues, $6 billion in assets, and an annual construction budget in excess of $350 million.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
Subject to sitting for long periods of time to perform job scope. Requires visual acuity, speech and hearing. Working conditions are in an office environment.
May be required to work hours other than regular schedule such as nights and weekends.
Keywords: San Antonio Water System, San Antonio , Supervisor - Accounting, Accounting, Auditing , San Antonio, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!