Equipment Operator - (Distribution & Collection Operations)
Company: San Antonio Water System
Location: San Antonio
Posted on: August 18, 2019
Starting Hourly Rate: $16.000. Rate of pay depends on
qualifications.Job DescriptionJOB SUMMARY
The Equipment Operator is responsible for performing a variety of
labor duties, which includes operating and transporting light to
heavy equipment for the repair and construction of concrete curbs,
sidewalks, driveways, retaining walls, wheel chair ramps, steps,
rip rap, and associated restoration work throughout the SAWS
Northside Operations Center - 15103 Capital Port Dr., San Antonio,
Northeast Service Center - 13655 O'Connor Road, San Antonio, TX
Eastside Service Center - 3930 E. Houston St., San Antonio, TX
Westside Operations Center - 2903 Hunt Lane, San Antonio, TX
Dos Rios Treatment Plant - 3495 Valley Rd., San Antonio, TX
- Operates and maintains medium to heavy equipment such as dump
truck, front-end loader, skid loader, backhoe, compact excavator,
trencher, and mobile concrete mixing truck.
- Excavates and backfills trenches in order to complete
- Transports equipment, tools, and materials to and from job
- Loads and unloads materials from trucks.
- Stocks vehicle with necessary equipment and material.
- Cleans, organizes and maintains facilities, tools and
- Observes and promotes all established safety procedures.
- Interprets as-built drawings, schematics, block maps, and
- Assists with the set-up of work zone barricades and signs for
- Conducts inventory of tools, equipment, and materials.
- Conducts inspections of equipment and reports mechanical
concerns/issues for repair.
- May provide training on the proper usage of tools and
- May provide training for Texas Class "A" Commercial Driver
- May provide guidance to crew in the absence of the
- May perform manual labor work related to maintenance and
- Performs other duties as assigned.
This position receives immediate supervision.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Eighteen months' experience in the construction, water,
wastewater or similar work environment to include six months'
experience operating heavy equipment.
- Position specific physical testing.
- Valid Texas Class "A" Commercial Driver License consistent with
SAWS driving policy.
- Knowledge of operating characteristics and safety procedures
for equipment being operated.
- Knowledge of materials, tools, and equipment commonly used in
- Knowledge of excavation, confined space, high pressure,
electrical, and other safety hazards found in a construction
- Knowledge of SAWS safety practices and procedures, including
- Ability to operate light to heavy equipment.
- Ability to recognize malfunction in equipment being
- Ability to understand and follow written and verbal
- Ability to perform all physical requirements of the
- Ability to work under adverse weather conditions.
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working
relationships with co-workers, supervisors, and general public.
List of Equipment: Equipment Operation
The following equipment is currently considered to be generally
appropriate for this position. Additional equipment not on this
list must be of similar size, weight and complexity.
- Water Trench Pump & Hose
- Maul & Other Hand Tools
- Jack Hammer
- Shoring Boards & Jacks
- Shoring Pump
- Whacker Tamp
- Hole Hog
- Assorted Size Ladders
- Assorted Size Shovels
- Pipe Clamps
- Copper Tubing Rolls
- Probe Bar
- Compact Excavator
- Skid Loader
- Front End Loader
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
Physical requirements include lifting/carrying up to 90 pounds
occasionally; pushing a maximum force of 100 pounds; pulling a
maximum force of 100 pounds.
Subject to standing, sitting, walking, climbing, bending, crawling,
squatting, kneeling, and working in cramped and strained positions
for long periods of time to perform job scope. Requires visual
acuity and speech and hearing.
Working conditions are primarily outside with frequent exposure to
inclement weather; wastewater; mechanical, electrical, chemical and
confined space hazards; offensive fumes; excessive noise; heavy
traffic; deep excavations; and animals, snakes and poisonous
insects. May be required to comply with requirements as specified
in applicable regulations for personal protective equipment,
including clearance for use of respiratory protection and other
associated equipment. Operates a company vehicle on a daily
Required to work hours other than regular schedule such as days,
nights, weekends, holidays, on-call and rotating shifts.
Keywords: San Antonio Water System, San Antonio , Equipment Operator - (Distribution & Collection Operations), Accounting, Auditing , San Antonio, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!