LEAD ENGINEER - PRINCIPAL ENGINEER - SPACE INSTRUMENT DEVELOPMENT
Company: Southwest Research Institute
Location: San Antonio
Posted on: May 28, 2023
Who We Are:
The Space Instrumentation Group is composed of mechanical engineers
and technicians within the Space Science and Engineering Division
at SwRI. The Space Instrumentation Group is responsible for the
development of spacecraft instrumentation, avionics and electronics
for both government and industry.
Objectives of this Role:
- Provide mechanical engineering leadership on a wide diversity
of projects. Design, analyze, and develop cutting edge space
instrumentation, mechanisms, and spacecraft hardware.
- Work with a team of scientists, engineers and technicians on
world-class space mission hardware development. Participate as part
of a team in promotional and proposal activities.
- Mentor junior staff; train and assist team members.
- Write technical reports, papers, proposals and prepare
technical presentations for design reviews and conferences.
- Attend and present at conferences or other events to actively
promote SwRI business.
Daily and Monthly Responsibilities:
- Use CAD to design structures and assemblies for space,
including sensors, mechanisms, and spacecraft.
- Select appropriate materials and processes to meet design
- Work with drafting group to create part and assembly
- Write manufacturing instructions.
- Perform structural and thermal analyses of flight hardware
using finite element software and classical techniques.
- Produce high quality engineering reports.
- Develop and supervise environmental screening tests,
development tests, and experiments to evaluate parts, assemblies,
- Supervise and coordinate fabrication of hardware.
- Interface with suppliers.
- Manage procurement and fabrication activities.
- Work with technicians to assemble and test subassemblies.
- Participate in design reviews.
- Defend design and analytical work to external reviewers.
- Propose and perform internal research to improve technology and
establish competitive advantage.
- Support promotional and proposal activities.
- Mentor junior engineering staff.
- Requires a Bachelors in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering
plus 8 years of experience as an engineer in a related field.
- Design experience with Computer Aided Design software is
- Structural analysis experience is required.
- Standard office productivity software experience is
- Ability to productively interface with team members, suppliers
and clients is required.
- Thermal analysis experience is desirable.
- A background in the Space industry is desirable.
- A valid/clear driver's license is required.
Applicant selected will be subject to a government security
investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to
classified information. Applicant must be a U.S. citizen.
Job Locations: San Antonio, Texas
For more information about this division, visit the home page.
For benefits information at our San Antonio location, click .
For benefits information at all other locations, click .
An Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Race/Color/Religion/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/National
Committed to Diversity in the Workplace
If you need assistance with completing the application, please
Keywords: Southwest Research Institute, San Antonio , LEAD ENGINEER - PRINCIPAL ENGINEER - SPACE INSTRUMENT DEVELOPMENT, Engineering , San Antonio, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...