LEAD ENGINEER - PRINCIPAL ENGINEER - TACTICAL AEROSPACE
Company: Southwest Research Institute
Location: San Antonio
Posted on: May 28, 2023
Who We Are:
The Tactical Aerospace Department (TAD) provides aerospace related
research, development, production, test and/or support to new
products, sustainment, and modernization programs for the DoD
industry, Allies, and U.S. Government.
Objectives of this Role:
- Develop, integrate, and test complex avionics/aerospace systems
while implementing RTOS's and designing architectures.
- Lead multi-disciplinary teams by coordinating and allocating
tasks, schedules, and earned value.
- Work collaboratively across a multi-disciplinary engineering
teams to establish hardware and software requirements for complex
flight worthy avionics hardware.
- Interact directly with clients and company staff to establish
system/software requirements and architectures to meet client
- Design Software Architecture models using SysML or UML modeling
to establish a baseline for software implementation and
- Support Department management in specific marketing activities
and writing proposals.
Daily and Monthly Responsibilities:
- Develop complex embedded avionics for new, sustainment and
- Develop, integrate, and test software within complex embedded
avionics; this may include leading a multi-disciplinary team to
allocate tasks with expected schedules, understand allocated
budgets, and using earned value.
- Meet with internal and external customers to establish
technical requirements and facilitate development of specification
documents and system/software architectures.
- Lead trade analyses within and across the relevant
- Work with stakeholders to allocate functions to systems/
functional components/software functions and develop those
allocations into requirements.
- Requires a Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering,
Electrical, or equivalent engineering degree.
- Experience in embedded avionics development programs utilizing
- 8+ years: Experience developing, deriving, allocating and
testing complex avionic software requirements.
- Experience implementing RTOS's (preferred Green Hills,
- Experience designing software architectures (using SysML or UML
modeling), especially in a multi-partition RTOS environment
(preferred to understand partitioning techniques to account for
partitions with various levels of DAL's and necessary certification
- Preferred experience in the development of drivers, BSP, and
typical avionic buses (PCIe, 429, ethernet, 1553, etc), C++ and
- Preferred experience and understanding of business and
engineering activities/disciplines in Avionics development
- Preferred experience with creating and implementing cyber
- Preferred experience with integrating software onto hardware
and debugging within a lab environment utilizing equipment such as
logic analyzers, power supplies, etc.
- Preferred experience with Avionics certification/safety
standards (e.g. DO-178 / DO-254)
- Preferred experience with Open Architecture hardware and
software implementations (e.g. SOSA, MOSA, FACE, OMS)
- Preferred experience leading others, supporting Schedules,
working with EVMS, supporting Bid and Proposals, supporting
technical customer discussions, and supporting Marketing/business
- A valid/clear driver's license is required
Applicant selected will be subject to a government security
investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to
classified information. Applicant must be a U.S. citizen.
Job Locations: San Antonio, Texas
For more information about this division, visit the home page.
For benefits information at our San Antonio location, click .
For benefits information at all other locations, click .
An Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Race/Color/Religion/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/National
Committed to Diversity in the Workplace
If you need assistance with completing the application, please
Keywords: Southwest Research Institute, San Antonio , LEAD ENGINEER - PRINCIPAL ENGINEER - TACTICAL AEROSPACE, Engineering , San Antonio, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...