Remote - Data Development Manager
Location: San Antonio
Posted on: June 25, 2022
Our DataEngineering group builds and maintains the platform that
delivers accessible data to power decision-making at Shopify for
millions of merchants. Were hiring high-impact developers across
- The Engine group organizes all merchant and Shopify data into
our data lake in highly-optimized formats for fast query
processing, and maintaining the security and quality of our
- The Analytics group leverages the Engine primitives to build
and deliver simple and useful products that power scalable
transformation of data at Shopify in batch, streaming, or for
machine learning. This group is focused on making it really simple
for our users to answer three questions: What happened in the past?
What is happening now? And, what will happen in the future?
- The Data Experiences group builds end-user experiences for
experimentation, data discovery, and business intelligence
- The Reliability group operates the data platform in a
consistent and reliable manner. They build tools for other teams on
Data Platform to leverage and encourage consistency as they
champion reliability across the platform.Your role:
- Providing people and technical leadership within your team to
support the mission of the Data Platform Engineering group.
- Working closely with a cross-functional team of product
leaders, engineering leaders, and distributed system engineers to
influence the organizational vision and help solve hard problems in
scaling the data platform.
- Strategic and tactical deliverables for your team.
- Deploying the team towards data platform priorities, achieving
measurable impact and outcomes.
- Defining and executing on your teams deliverables.
- Sourcing and hiring for positions in your team or
- All aspects of performance management, including compensation,
performance improvement plans, promotions, and separations.
- An experienced manager of teams of high-performing
- Technical engineering background in one or more areas listed in
the next section.
- A proven track record of delivering impactful results.
- Exceptional communication skills and ability to translate
technical concepts into easy to understand language for our
- Excitement for working with a remote team; you value
collaborating on problems, asking questions, delivering feedback,
and supporting others in their goals whether they are in your
vicinity or entire cities apart.A Data Development Manager at
Shopify would typically have at least 2 years of experience leading
high-functioning teams, and expertise in one or more of the
- Experience with the internals of a distributed compute engine
(Spark, Presto, DBT, or Flink/Beam)
- Experience in query optimization, resource allocation and
management, and data lake performance (Presto, SQL)
- Experience with cloud infrastructure (Google Cloud, Kubernetes,
Experience with security products and methods (Apache Ranger,
Apache Knox, OAuth, IAM, Kerberos)
- Experience deploying and scaling ML solutions using open-source
frameworks (MLFlow, TFX, H2O, etc.)
- Experience building full-stack applications (Ruby/Rails, React,
- Background and practical experience in statistics and/or
computational mathematics (Bayesian and Frequentist approaches,
NumPy, PyMC3, etc.)
- Modern Big-Data storage technologies (Iceberg, Hudi, Delta)
As there are multiple positions, this posting will remain live
until all positions have been filled. Successful candidates can
expect to hear back from us within 2 weeks of application.
#LI-REMOTEOur belief is that a strong commitment to diversity &
inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We
encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people,
people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse
communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please
take a look at to learn more about Shopifys commitments to our
communities, and our planet.At Shopify, we understand that
experience comes in many forms. Were dedicated to adding new
perspectives to the team - so if your experience is this close to
what were looking for, please consider applying.PandoLogic. ,
Location: San Antonio, TX - 78212 , PL: 538530892Required
Keywords: Shopify, San Antonio , Remote - Data Development Manager, Executive , San Antonio, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!