Director, Fraud Prevention and Detection
Location: San Antonio
Posted on: November 27, 2022
Purpose of Job
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial
security of millions of U.S. military members and their families.
This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking
at every level.
Provides oversight and manages the strategic direction of fraud
risk at USAA. Directs tactical operational issues and resolution
activities related to financial fraud at USAA. Protects member
assets by minimizing fraud loss, risk exposure and by providing
optimal customer service. Implements and executes business plans,
drives and champions change and provides feedback to senior
OPTIONAL HYBRID USAA values a culture that is highly collaborative,
and we have found that a hybrid work type helps employees gain the
best of both worlds - collaborating in-person in the office and
working from home. The actual onsite days are settled between each
employee and the employee's manager. Candidates are expected to
live a commutable distance from of our office in San Antonio,
- Identifies and manages existing and emerging risks that stem
from business activities and the job role.
- Ensures risks associated with business activities are
effectively identified, measured, monitored, and controlled.
- Follows written risk and compliance policies, standards, and
procedures for business activities.
- Develops strategies and solutions to enable USAA members to
conduct business (open new accounts, maintenance accounts, move
money/make payments, debit/credit cards, etc.) while reducing fraud
- Develops and executes on strategies, objectives and business
- Ensures activities are aligned with the corporate mission,
strategy and objectives to protect the USAA.
- Develops managers and staff knowledge and collaborates with
Fraud Strategy to ensure best in class detection solutions are
delivered in a timely, cost-effective manner.
- Develops solutions (technical and nontechnical) that enable
exceptional member experience while mitigating fraud risks and
abiding all governing rules and guidance imposed by regulatory
- Assists in the advancement of USAA products and channels,
enabling member functionality and transactions while balancing risk
- Collaborates with business partners to plan, prepare and
forecast potential losses, develop mitigating controls and educate
business stakeholders on fraud schemes and industry trends.
- Develops key metrics and reports trends, industry developments
and best practices.
- Presents information to executive management to raise fraud
awareness and education.
- Builds and oversees a team of employees for assigned functional
area through ongoing execution of recruiting, development,
retention, coaching and support, performance management, and
managerial activities. Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree; OR 4 years of related experience (12 years
of experience in addition to the minimum years of experience may be
substituted in lieu of degree).
- 8 years of financial services experience, to include at least 3
years of fraud or operational experience in one or more of the
following areas: check , wire, ACH, securities/brokerage, card, ID
theft, corporate security investigations, collections underwriting,
risk, compliance, internal audit or other related experience.
- 3 years of direct team lead or management experience.
- 3 years of experience working with federal regulations as they
relate to bank security, investigations, case creation, SAR filing,
- Subject-matter-expert knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Experience developing strategies and managing major initiatives
pertaining to Fraud operations and/or Bank operational risk.
- Experience leading teams responsible for banking operations,
fraudulent review, and regulations that relate to funds
availability, check kiting and check fraud.
- Expert knowledge of REG CC, REG E, or REG Z Certificates and
Designations Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE)
preferred fraudulent activities for a wide range of enterprise
financial products and services.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the Bank's fraud prevention
controls, risk processes, systems and data environments.
- Knowledge of federal laws, rules, and regulations to include:
Reg CC, Reg E Preferred Qualifications:
- 4+ years' experience managing a fraud operations team.
- 5+ years' experience working with fraud management
- Experience managing third party relationships and knowledge of
Third-Party Risk Management (TPRM) standards.
- Experience working with regulators and Independent Risk
- Strong bank regulatory knowledge including Reg E, Reg Z, Reg
CC, UDAAP, FCRA, KYC, and FACTA.
- Knowledge for IRM control requirements and issue management
- Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) or Association of Certified
Anti-Money Laundering Specialists (ACAMS).
- Demonstrated ability to identify complex business challenges,
manage effective solutions, and making complex decisions when
- Demonstrated ability to inspire and motivate a team through
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and influence effectively
at senior levels within an organization, including the ability to
communicate technical analysis to a non-technical audience. The
above description reflects the details considered necessary to
describe the principal functions of the job and should not be
construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements
that may be performed in the job.
USAA has an effective process for assessing market data and
establishing ranges to ensure we remain competitive. You are paid
within the salary range based on your experience and market
position. The salary range for this position is: $117,600-
Employees may be eligible for pay incentives based on overall
corporate and individual performance or at the discretion of the
USAA Board of Directors.
Geographical Differential: Geographic pay differential is
additional pay provided to eligible employees working in locations
where market pay levels are above the national average.
Shift premium will be addressed on an individual basis for
applicable roles that are consistently scheduled for non-core
At USAA our employees enjoy best-in-class benefits to support their
physical, financial, and emotional wellness. These benefits include
comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, 401(k), pension,
life insurance, parental benefits, adoption assistance, paid time
off program with paid holidays plus 16 paid volunteer hours, and
various wellness programs. Additionally, our career path planning
and continuing education assists employees with their professional
To see details on our outstanding benefits, visit USAA Total
Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
USAA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants
will receive consideration for employment without regard to race,
color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national
origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Keywords: USAA, San Antonio , Director, Fraud Prevention and Detection, Executive , San Antonio, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!