Director - Academic Advising
Company: The University of Texas at San Antonio
Location: San Antonio
Posted on: November 20, 2023
Director - Academic Advising
Location: San Antonio, TX
Job ID: 11084
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Org Marketing Statement
The University of Texas at San Antonio is a Hispanic Serving
University specializing in cyber, health, fundamental futures, and
social-economic development. With more than 34,000 students, it is
the largest university in the San Antonio metropolitan region. UTSA
advances knowledge through research and discovery, teaching and
learning, community engagement and public service. The university
embraces multicultural traditions and serves as a center for
intellectual and creative resources as well as a catalyst for
socioeconomic development and the commercialization of intellectual
property-for Texas, the nation and the world. Learn more online, on
USTA Today or on TwitterInstagram, Facebook, YouTube or
UTSA, situated in a global city that has been a crossroads of
peoples and cultures for centuries, values diversity and inclusion
in all aspects of university life. As an institution expressly
founded to advance the education of Mexican Americans and other
underserved communities, our university is committed to ending
generations of discrimination and inequity. UTSA, a premier public
research university, fosters academic excellence through a
community of dialogue, discovery and innovation that embraces the
uniqueness of each voice.Posting End Date: Applications will be
accepted through 11:59 PM CDT on 11/26/2023. At the discretion of
the hiring department, this position posting may close once a
sufficient number of qualified applications have been
received.Salary Range: $70,000 annualizedHours: up to 40 hours per
week, exempt.Required Application Materials:
- Resume and Cover Letter are required. Please submit both files
as PDFs. Essential Functions
Job SummaryFunction:To direct the daily operations of an academic
advising unit, including supervision of professional staff,
university academic advising personnel hiring and unit training,
problem resolution with students and personnel. To serve as liaison
to Dean, Associate Dean, Faculty members, Senior Vice Provost of
Student Success, and other administrative offices at
UTSA.Scope:Responsible for working collaboratively across all UTSA
units to develop and implement practical solutions to complex
problems; understanding and communicating the needs of specific
populations of students to administrators and faculty, implementing
and communicating institutional rules to students; understanding
and communicating the needs of staff and students to administrators
for the improvement of student advising, facilitating the exchange
of academic advising information to all concerned parties; work
collaboratively with the Executive Director of Advising and Senior
Vice Provost for Student Success.Core ResponsibilitiesTypical:
- Responsible for daily supervision of academic advisors.
- Interact with and perform various outreach functions with
groups, including students, faculty, staff, administrators,
community members, and parents.
- Meet with students to resolve any advising issues or
- Explore new practical research models for effective delivery of
academic advising or develop new assessment programs.
- Assist in the coordination of activities among the UTSA
academic advising community.
- Develop and implement unit projects.
- Ensure timely communication of information from SeniorVice
Provost for Student Success, and Executive Director to professional
- Prepare required reports, and other projects as required by
SeniorVice Provost for Student Success, Executive Director of
Advising, or Associate Deans.
- In collaboration with the Executive Director of Advising and
Senior Instructional Manager to recruit, train, and evaluate
professional staff within the advising unit.
- Perform other duties as required. Periodic:
- Participate in professional conferences and individual
professional development activities.
- Serve on committees relevant to the mission of academic
advising and the unit. Required Qualifications
- Master's degree in a related field from an accredited
- Eight years of progressive experience in a higher educational
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated independent decision-making and problem-solving
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite. Preferred Qualifications
- Master's degree in Higher Education.
- Ten years of experience with a minimum three years experience
in academic advising and two years direct supervisory
- Knowledge of student information systems/platforms such as
Banner and DegreeWorks.
- Excellent teamwork skills. Additional Information
- UTSA is a tobacco-free campus.
- This is a security sensitive position. Employment is contingent
upon a successful background check.
- Applicants selected for the interview must be able to show
proof that they are eligible and qualified to work in the United
States if selected for hire.
- At the discretion of the hiring department, this position
posting may be closed once a sufficient number of qualified
applications has been received.
- Currently you are applying for a position in UTSA Academic
Advising. Please note that as enrollment changes, your appointment
in particular areas/disciplines may change.
- Applicants must specifically address in their resume and cover
letter how they meet all required education, experience, and skills
for this position.
- Applicants selected for the interview must provide an advising
portfolio at the time of the interview. Interviewees may also be
required to facilitate a presentation at the time of the
- The required education must be completed by December 31, 2023.
- Office Environment.
- Occasional after hours and weekend work or overtime may be
- Sedentary work; sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary,
if walking and standing are required, only occasionally.
- Exerts up to 10 lbs. of force occasional. This position will be
primarily located on campus. Travel and parking expenses are the
employee's responsibility.Equal Employment OpportunityAs an equal
employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, it is the
policy of The University of Texas at San Antonio to promote and
ensure equal employment opportunity for all individuals regardless
of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation,
national origin, age, disability or genetic information, and
veteran status. The University is committed to the Affirmative
Action Program in compliance with all government requirements to
ensure nondiscrimination. Women, minorities, people with
disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply. UTSA campuses
are accessible to persons with disabilities.To view the full job
posting and apply for this position, go to
Keywords: The University of Texas at San Antonio, San Antonio , Director - Academic Advising, Executive , San Antonio, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!