San Antonio, TX - Employed, First Assist NP for Hepatobiliary Surgery
Company: HCA Healthcare - San Antonio Division
Location: San Antonio
Posted on: March 28, 2020
Methodist Healthcare of San Antonio is seeking an Nurse
Practitioner to join the liver transplant & HPB surgical team at
Methodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital. This NP will become an
integral part of the team supporting the surgeon's inpatient and
outpatient practices. The patient population would include complex
surgical diseases and disorders of the liver, pancreas, biliary
tract, and duodenum.
The NP will perform a wide range of surgical procedures under
physician supervision such as insertion of central venous lines,
insertion and removal of chest tubes, placement of arterial lines,
dialysis catheters, liver resections, distal pancreatectomies,
complex cholecystectomies, and biliary reconstructions. Provide the
patient education on disease process, post-operative, and discharge
instructions. The daily duties include:- Inpatient rounding-
Outpatient General Surgery Clinic seeing low complexity
undifferentiated new HPB patients, post op visits, and long term
follow ups, participating in active research studies with the
The ideal candidate will have strong communication skills and work
well in a team environment. The schedule for this job will be
Monday to Friday from 7-5pm, with no holidays, nights, or weekends.
New graduates are welcome to apply. NP, with the supervision of a
Physician, performs complete histories and physicals on patients of
all ages to establish and record patient's current health status
and to develop a working diagnosis and treatment plan to provide
continuing medical care, including daily examinations, writing
orders, chart notes, discharging patients and completing discharge
summaries, in a variety of clinical settings. Provides outpatient
and/or hospital based care to patients (more than 50% of their
time) with complex, acute, and chronic health conditions. In the
hospital care role, practices in a setting that requires the
performance of diagnostic and therapeutic interventions to manage
acute and chronic health problems, working with multi-disciplinary
- Performs comprehensive histories and physical exams, identifies
normal and abnormal findings, including physical, cognitive and
- Orders, performs, and interprets screening and diagnostic
procedures and tests, and appropriately communicates and documents
- Develops treatment plans including surgical, non-surgical, and
- Monitors effectiveness of plan of care.
- Educates patients and families on disease and on preoperative
and postoperative care in addition to health problems, health
maintenance activities, and preventive behaviors as necessary.
- Performs procedures as trained and appropriately
- Documents within the Electronic Medical Record and completes
other necessary documents accurately and in a timely manner.
- Collaborates and/or consults with physicians and other health
- Collaborates with interdisciplinary health care teams in
diagnosis and treatment of surgical oncology patients with both
malignant and benign diseases in the outpatient setting.
- Participates in preoperative and postoperative patient care.
Provides follow-up/post-op care in the Outpatient Surgical Oncology
- Develops expertise specific to this patient population.
- Privileged to perform procedures as identified by the
collaborating surgeon that are beyond core privileges.
- Facilitates communication with other care organizations to
promote continuity across the continuum of care.
- Be an integral part in the operating room as first assist on a
multitude of case mixes. Certifications:
- Must have Prescriptive authority or eligible to apply for
licensure to prescribe from the State Medical Board within the
first 6 months of hiring.
- Must have approved Physician Supervision Agreement (listed on
State Medical Board website) and/or signed addendum to Physician
- Basic Life Support (BLS) Healthcare Provider required; Advanced
Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) or Pediatric Advanced Life Support
(PALS) may be required based upon work setting. Methodist
Healthcare of San Antonio is seeking an Nurse Practitioner to join
the liver transplant & HPB surgical team at Methodist Specialty and
Keywords: HCA Healthcare - San Antonio Division, San Antonio , San Antonio, TX - Employed, First Assist NP for Hepatobiliary Surgery, Healthcare , San Antonio, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!