Nurse Home Visitor
Company: The Children's Shelter
Location: San Antonio
Posted on: May 15, 2022
PRIMARY FUNCTION/ PURPOSE:
The function of the Nurse Family Partnership (NFP) Nurse Home
Visitor is to provide comprehensive community health nursing
services to women and their families eligible for the NFP Program.
The Nurse Home Visitor is responsible for maintaining the highest
standards in clinical nursing practice and adherence to the NFP
model, and to policies, procedures, guidelines and standards of NFP
and The Children's Shelter. The Nurse Home Visitor reports to the
NFP Nurse Supervisor and in his/her absence reports to the Chief
Operating Officer or Chief Program Officer of The Children's
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides home visits to women and their families eligible for
the NFP Program.
- Adhere to Nurse Family Partnership activities and procedures in
accordance with the national model requirements and guidelines set
forth by The Children's Shelter.
- Responsible to carry a caseload of 25-30 active
- Responsible To complete all required NFP and agency education
- Attends and participates in dyadic assessment training and
- Develops therapeutic relationships, utilizes concepts of
reflection and motivational interviewing with women and their
families in a home visiting environment.
- Performs home visiting in accordance with the NFP model,
visit-to-visit guidelines and agency procedures.
- Follows nursing process in implementing NFP into nursing
practice. Formulates nursing diagnosis based on nursing assessment
and client goals. Evaluates client progress and plans home visits
in accordance with stated goals and NFP outcomes.
- Assesses physical, emotional, social, and environmental needs
of women and their families as they relate to the NFP
- Assists clients and their families in establishing goals and
- Provides education, support and referral resources in assisting
clients and their families in attaining their targeted goals.
Consults and collaborates with other professionals involved in
providing services to client and their family.
- Actively engages in professional development and skill building
to meet all NFP Nurse Home Visitor competency
- Meets with NFP Nurse Supervisor weekly for clinical
- Schedule joint home visits with NFP Nurse Supervisor every 4
- Attends and participates in bi-weekly case conferences and team
- Inputs and provides information to support staff for timely and
accurate data input to the NFP database system.
- Documents appropriately and in the required time frame set by
the NFP Model and the agency.
- Maintains confidentiality in accordance with HIPAA, agency
guidelines, and contract requirements.
- Participates in review and analysis of the database reports for
achievements and quality improvement efforts.
- Executes responsibilities with cultural sensitivity to groups
- Responsible for personal safety, and generally the safety of
the office work area.
- Participates in agency events, Family Strengthening events, and
after hour events such as Family Fun Nights and NFP
- Attends mandatory agency town hall meetings and others as
- Participates in agency strategic initiatives.
- Maintains clear, effective, open, honest communication with
both internal and external customers and colleagues.
- Communicates and cooperates with agency programs/depts., agency
partners, co-workers and staff in a respectful and effective
- As requested/required, participates in community coalition in
support of NFP.
- As requested/required, promotes public awareness of NFP and
agency programs through community outreach events.
- Understands, supports, and coaches others in the NFP vision,
mission and model.
- Represents the NFP vision, mission and model in actions and
verbally to both internal and external customers and
- Assists in creating a positive work environment that promotes
productivity, mentoring, teamwork and cooperation.
- Recognizes accomplishments of team members.
- Creates, maintains and supports a safe environment for open
- Accurately assesses own learning needs and develops strategies
to meet them. Motivated to utilize computer for distance
- Stays informed of current health care developments to provide
safe, quality nurse home visiting services.
- Establishes and records progress toward annual goals.
- Seeks and responds appropriately to feedback
- Elicits and considers differing viewpoints when analyzing
- Supports and role-models the strengthening and management of
the culture and practices that reflects the organization's mission,
core values, employee promise, and fosters high engagement in
- Builds and maintains strong, collaborative relationships with
internal staff, clients, and community stakeholders.
- Establishes and clearly communicates performance expectations
and responsibilities to staff and team.
- Consistently provides ongoing reflective supervision, coaching,
training, and support to staff to create and maintain an
environment of safety, well-being, and a highly engaged
- Responsible for interviewing, hiring, planning, assigning, and
directing work; evaluating performance; rewarding and disciplining
employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems within your
- Demonstrates strong commitment to meeting the needs of our
customers (children, community members, co-workers, donors,
managers, and volunteers), in a friendly, outgoing, and
- Contributes to building a child welfare system that is safe,
secure, and stable; family centered; connected to the community;
which relies on evidence-based practice necessary to support
- Adheres to all policies and procedures of the agency and its
accrediting and standard setting bodies, such as Council on
Accreditation (COA) and state licensing.
- Ensures all processes and tasks completed meet local, state,
and/or federal compliance requirements.
- Maintains client confidentiality per The Children's Shelter
policies and all applicable codes of ethics.
- Meets assigned deadlines and follows through on
- Learns, understands, supports, and demonstrates The Children's
Shelter mission, vision, and values.
- Demonstrates the Trauma Informed Care principles and utilizes
with peers, clients, and external stakeholders.
- Understands and demonstrates the Praesidium best practices to
ensure the safety of clients.
- Promotes teamwork within team, program, and agency.
- Promotes and demonstrates appropriate respect for cultural
diversity among coworkers and clients.
- Attends and successfully completes mandatory trainings as
defined in positions training matrix by the assigned deadline.
Submits certifications of trainings to Training
- Uses outside professional collaboration and intra-agency
teamwork appropriate to the agency.
- Skilled in organizing work in an environment with multiple
challenges and priorities.
- Avoid all conflicts of interest, real or perceived.
- Attends work in accordance with agency leave policy.
- Performs other duties as assigned to ensure continuity of
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing required.
- Current nursing license in good standing with Texas Board of
Nursing (TBON) required.
- Adhere to the Texas Board of Nursing rules and
- Current CPR required.
- Experience in maternal/child health, public health, home
visiting or mental/behavioral nursing preferred.
- Proficiency in reading, writing and speaking Spanish preferred
- Basic computer skills
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule including evenings and
- Ability to seek supervision and use it constructively.
- Ability to have a joyful approach to children, adolescents and
families of diverse cultures.
- Successful clearance of a criminal background check, including
fingerprinting and drug testing.
- Maintain current driver's license/access to reliable and safe
transportation for self.
DESCRIPTION OF WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
This is a full-time position, schedule for 40 hours a week with the
need for a flexible schedule. Work environments of the NFP Nurse
Home Visitor consist primarily of office and community activities,
to include home visitation and community outreach. Traveling to
designated locations will be required on a regular
Keywords: The Children's Shelter, San Antonio , Nurse Home Visitor, Healthcare , San Antonio, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!