Life and Health Underwriter I
Location: Von Ormy
Posted on: August 7, 2022
Purpose of Job ABOUT USAA
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial
security of millions of U.S. military members and their families.
This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking
at every level.
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
Full time work at home position
Underwrites individual life and health insurance applicants
according to established guidelines for the issuance of policies.
Determines whether to accept, modify, or decline a risk through
evaluation of an individual's medical history or physical
condition, occupational hazards, financial background, insurable
interest and other information pertinent to the decision. Job
Requirements Military veterans and spouses are highly encouraged to
apply Primary Responsibilities: Tasks:
- Identifies and manages existing and emerging risks that stem
from business activities and the job role.
- Ensures risks associated with business activities are
effectively identified, measured, monitored, and controlled.
- Follows written risk and compliance policies, standards, and
procedures for business activities.
- Examines application forms, medical reports and investigative
reports to determine degree of risk and adequacy of underwriting
- Applies proficient knowledge of the life insurance industry and
life and health products and services.
- Underwrites complex cases using requirements and medical
information that cannot be automatically reviewed.
- Discusses rate class recommendations and status of files,
requests additional underwriting information for proper risk
assessment, and explains underwriting decisions with internal and
- Consults with reinsurers to place coverage or discuss
- Resolves moderately complex to complex member complaints and
- Serves as a subject matter resource to less experienced team
members.Work at home employees must have access to minimum
broadband internet connection standards as defined by USAA. Current
requirements are as follows:
- Bandwidth must have minimum capability of consistent speeds of
25 Mbps download and 5 Mbps upload.
- Wireless and Satellite coverage is currently not approved.
- Must be able to provide workspace at home that is safe,
suitable for work, and provide a distraction free environment from
background noises that may distract a member or internal USAA
- For training it is a remote learning environment for licensing
and job specific training.
- We are in an ever-changing environment, flexibility is needed.
- Monday - Friday / 7:30am - 5:00pm (Central)
- An 8hr shift will fall within these hours Minimum Requirements:
- Bachelor s Degree; OR 4 years of related experience (in
addition to the minimum years of experience required) may be
substituted in lieu of degree
- 4 or more years financial services or health related industry
experience to include 3 or more years underwriting experience.
- Prior Military or Military Spouse
- 3+ years of "individual" Life Underwriting experience
- Underwriting designation work must include successful
completion of: ALU 101 (Academy of Life Underwriting), ALU 201, Any
LOMA course work (Life Office Management Association)
- 1 million + binding authority (Approval limits)
- Advanced oral and written communication skills.
- Working knowledge of Swiss Re-Underwriting Manual
- Previous experience working in a production environment
- Developed skills in analyzing and interpreting complex
- Demonstrated excellence in analytical thinking, comprehension
of complex information, risk assessment, negotiation skills and
- Making critical risk decision to Approve, modify, or decline
applications independently through evaluation of applicant s
medical history, occupational hazard and financial background
- Proficient in relevant Life insurance policy and underwriting
- Ability to handle sensitive information with discretion and
diplomacyThe above description reflects the details considered
necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should
not be construed as a detailed description of all the work
requirements that may be performed in the job. Compensation: USAA
has an effective process for assessing market data and establishing
ranges to ensure we remain competitive. You are paid within the
salary range based on your experience and market position. The
salary range for this position is: $60,300.00 - $108,600.00 USD
Annual. Employees may be eligible for pay incentives based on
overall corporate and individual performance or at the discretion
of the USAA Board of Directors. Geographical Differential:
Geographic pay differential is additional pay provided to eligible
employees working in locations where market pay levels are above
the national average.Shift premium will be addressed on an
individual basis for applicable roles that are consistently
scheduled for non-core hours. Benefits: At USAA our employees enjoy
best-in-class benefits to support their physical, financial, and
emotional wellness. These benefits include comprehensive medical,
dental and vision plans, 401(k), pension, life insurance, parental
benefits, adoption assistance, paid time off program with paid
holidays plus 16 paid volunteer hours, and various wellness
programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing
education assists employees with their professional goals.To see
details on our outstanding benefits, visit USAA Total Rewards.
Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
Keywords: USAA, San Antonio , Life and Health Underwriter I, Healthcare , Von Ormy, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!