Registered Nurse: Operating Room - OR - Operating Room
Company: South Texas Spine & Surgical Hospital
Location: San Antonio
Posted on: September 24, 2022
Registered Nurse: Operating RoomOperating Room Registered
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Under the supervision of the OR Manager or the designated
representative and according to organizational structure, the
Operating Room Registered Nurse is responsible for providing
intra-operative patient care in accordance with sound nursing
judgment, regulatory and accreditation standards, and the
facility's mission, vision, and values. The position must provide
direct and indirect patient care across the age continuum; and
utilize the nursing process of assessment, planning,
implementation, and evaluation according to policies and procedures
of the facility and out patient surgery center.
Administrative responsibilities include internal physician
marketing, cost awareness, and adherence to staffing schedule.
Supervises other Registered Nurses as requested, and directs
ancillary staff in the operating room and central processing.
Responsible to assist with administrative tasks related to Risk
Management, Infection Control, Performance Improvement, and
Clinical Recruitment/Retention. In conjunction with the nursing
leadership, the OR Nurse may assist with development and
implementation of policies and procedures, which assure that cost
effective, safe and high quality of care, is implemented.
Projects a professional demeanor and appearance while maintaining
the confidentiality of patients, coworkers, and facility
information and adhering to the HIPAA policy. Reports, in good
faith, any known or suspected activity that appears to violate
laws, rules, regulations or the SP Code of Conduct. Fulfills annual
continuing education requirements.
Personal attributes include the ability to be self-directed;
demonstrates accountability, professionalism, and receptiveness to
change; seeks guidance, direction, and assistance when needed.
Works under stress and in situations that demand patience, stamina,
endurance, and tact while providing impeccable service. Fosters an
attitude of teamwork and willingness to assist others and does not
refuse performing other job duties as requested. May also be
required to interchange from facility to Hospital Outpatient
Department as needed. Set's priorities, responds timely to issues,
which require a decision, and ensure desired results are achieved
by means of consistent follow through.
The patient population served by South Texas Spine & Surgical
Hospital is a minimum of 12 years and/or of adult stature to
geriatric patients requiring or seeking pain and/or surgical
May be expected to lift up to 50 pounds or up to 150 pounds with
assistance. May be expected to push or pull 150-300 pounds with
assistance. Work is of medium demand; walking or standing most of
the time while on duty. Visual and auditory acuity and manual
dexterity essential to performing designated duties required.
Optimal auditory acuity required. Manual dexterity involving the
handling of equipment and instruments or armamentarium is essential
to performing assigned duties. Physical conditions are clean, neat
and well lit. May be subjected to unpleasant sights and odors,
stressful situations, limited radiation, hazardous chemicals, or
infectious diseases where judgment as to precautions needed to be
taken is essential. Climate control and ambient temperature
variances may be experienced and required by patient care and needs
of the surgical team. Hours of duty may be irregular or
unexpectedly extended due to the requirements of the job.
OSHA Exposure Classification:
Job Category I. Direct contact with blood or other body fluids to
which standard precautions apply. Personal protective equipment is
made available and must be worn.
* Demonstrates eligibility for employment in the U.S.
* Graduate of a school of professional nursing with current and
valid licensure with Texas State Board of Nursing as a Registered
* BLS & ACLS required or obtained within 30 days of hire and PALS
certification required within 60 days of hire.
* Minimum of two years of experience required in the Operating Room
or other critical care-nursing environment.
* Knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices, and procedures
within a particular field.
* Knowledge of state, federal and accrediting body regulations and
standards related to healthcare.
* Ability to read, write and communicate effectively in English,
with additional languages preferred.
* Demonstrates ability to comprehend written and oral
* Willingness to participate in goal-setting and educational
activities for his/her own professional advancement and that of
* Must be computer literate with basic fundamental computer skills
that are required to perform essential job related duties.
Duties and Responsibilities:
* Adheres to staffing schedules, attendance policy, and cooperates
with daily assignments as requested.
* Demonstrates skills as a team player. As A Registered Nurse,
shows appropriate delegation, while directing and supervising
ancillary personnel in planning, implementing, monitoring and
evaluating patient care in the operating room according to accepted
standards. May be requested to perform charge duties.
* Provides direct patient care in clinical areas and demonstrates
* Participates in orientation of new staff and peer evaluation
process, ensures facility morale exemplifies the mission and values
of the center.
* Demonstrates ability to solve problems timely and constructively;
maintains focus on improving the situation.
* Willingness to teach others and participate in competency
* Competes Healthstreams in a timely manner annually.
* Participates in all staff meetings for department and facility
for informative and educational purposes.
* Demonstrates highly effective communication skills with staff,
management, physicians, patients, and family members.
* Establishes and maintains exceptional services to all customers
including physicians, patients, and employees with the goal of
delighting all customers.
* Participates in physician oriented service teams.
* Participates in service recovery by taking ownership of the
situation and correcting problems. Keeps customers informed of
progress related to clinical operations and provides comfort,
information and assistance during the process.
* Models appropriate interaction with physicians, patients and
staff to ensure high level of service in all areas of
* Reviews daily schedule and prepares cases based upon preference
cards and specific patient care needs.
* Communicates changes as necessary to preference cards.
* Communicates intra-operative care to PACU staff upon
* Initiates physical and psycho/social assessment and pre-operative
plan of care, identifies patient and verifies informed consent.
* Completes a pre-operative record review, and conducts an
interview to plan for intra-operative patient needs.
* Actively participates and validates site marking and initiates
timeout according to policy and procedures.
* Assures the delivery of quality clinical care through
participation in SP benchmarking programs.
* Assures facility clinical policies and procedures are
* Maintains a safe OR environment, adheres to all patient care
* Reviews and participates in performance improvement
* Medical record documentation is accurate, legible, and in
accordance with federal and accrediting standards.
* Conserves resources and minimizes cost when possible.
* Participates and assists with implementation of cost saving
initiatives for the department.
* Communicates ideas for cost containment and reducing expense.
* Appropriate staffing levels and overtime is below established
* Medical record documentation and implant log should be completed
accurately for all cases.
* Through competency and customer service, employee will contribute
to the growth of the facility.
* Actively participates in Mock Code Drills.
* Expanding Knowledge in Job Field (Seminars/In-services)
* Employee communicates service line development ideas with
* Employee engages in customer service conversation with physicians
as adjunct to facility marketing initiatives.
Keywords: South Texas Spine & Surgical Hospital, San Antonio , Registered Nurse: Operating Room - OR - Operating Room, Healthcare , San Antonio, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!