RN Inpatient - Nights - PRN
Company: Surgery Partners
Location: San Antonio
Posted on: September 19, 2023
DescriptionKnowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Under the supervision of the ER/Inpatient Manager, the ER/Inpatient
Registered Nurse is responsible for providing direct and indirect
patient care in the Medical-Surgical setting. Evaluates, plans,
implements, and documents nursing care for an assigned patient
population. Assists physician during examinations and procedures.
Performs various patient tests and administers medications within
the scope of practice of the registered nurse. Promotes patient's'
independence by establishing patient care goals and teaching
patient and family to understand condition, medications, and
self-care skills. Communicates with physicians, managers,
supervisor and co-workers, as appropriate, about changes in the
patient's clinical condition, including results of diagnostic
studies and symptomatology. Is able to respond quickly and
accurately to changes in condition or response to treatment.
Emergency Room duties, when in a Charge role, consist of directing
nursing service activities in the Emergency Room setting. In
addition, provides professional nursing care of assigned patients
in the emergency room setting. Triages each patient and determines
priority of care based on physical, psychological and social needs
as well as factors influencing patient flow through the emergency
care system. Performs focused assessment of chief complaint on each
patient in a timely manner according to established triage
guidelines. Communicates with physicians, managers, supervisor and
co-workers, as appropriate about changes in the patient's clinical
condition, including results of diagnostic studies and
symptomatology. Is able to respond quickly and accurately to
changes in condition or response to treatment.
Administrative responsibilities include cost awareness, and
adherence to staffing schedule. Supervises other Registered Nurses
as requested; and directs ancillary staff in the Emergency Room and
Medical Surgical area. In conjunction with nursing leadership, the
ER/Inpatient Registered Nurse may assist with development and
implementation of policies and procedures, which assure that cost
effective, safe and high quality of care, is implemented.
Projects a professional demeanor and appearance while maintaining
the confidentiality of patients, coworkers, and facility
information and adhering to the HIPAA policy. Reports, in good
faith, any known or suspected activity that appears to violate
laws, rules, regulations or the SP Code of Conduct. Fulfills annual
Healthstream continuing education requirements.
The patient population served by South Texas Spine & Surgical
Hospital is a minimum of 12 years and/or of adult stature to
geriatric patients requiring or seeking pain and/or surgical
May be expected to lift up to 50 pounds or up to 150 pounds with
assistance. May be expected to push or pull 150-300 pounds with
assistance. Work is of medium demand; walking or standing most of
the time while on duty. Visual and auditory acuity and manual
dexterity essential to performing designated duties required.
Optimal auditory acuity required. Manual dexterity involving the
handling of equipment and instruments or armamentarium is essential
to performing assigned duties. Physical conditions are clean, neat
and well lit. May be subjected to unpleasant sights and odors,
stressful situations and hazardous or infectious agents where
judgment as to precautions needed to be taken is essential. Climate
control and ambient temperature variances may be experienced and
required by patient care and needs of the surgical team.
OSHA Exposure Classification: Job Category I. Direct contact with
blood or other body fluids to which standard precautions apply.
Personal protective equipment is made available and must be
- Demonstrates eligibility for employment in the U.S.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing with current and
valid licensure with Texas State Board of Nursing as a Registered
- Orthopedic Experience Preferred
- BLS required, ability to achieve ACLS certification within 30
days of hire and PALS certification within 60 days of
- 2 years of nursing experience required in the Medical/Surgical
- Knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices, and procedures
within a particular field.
- Knowledge of state, federal and accrediting body regulations
and standards related to healthcare.
- Ability to read, write and communicate effectively in English,
with additional languages preferred.
- Demonstrates ability to comprehend written and oral
- Willingness to participate in goal-setting and educational
activities for his/her own professional advancement and that of
- Must be computer literate with basic fundamental computer
skills that are required to perform essential job related
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Adheres to staffing schedules, attendance policy, and
cooperates with daily assignments as requested.
- Demonstrates skills as a team player. As a Registered Nurse,
shows appropriate delegation, while directing and supervising
ancillary personnel in planning, implementing, monitoring and
evaluating patient care in the ER/Medical/Surgical clinical areas
according to accepted standards. May be requested to perform charge
- Provides direct patient care in the assigned clinical areas and
demonstrates clinical competence.
- Participates in orientation of new staff, ensures facility
morale exemplifies the mission and values of the facility.
- Demonstrates ability to solve problems timely and
constructively; maintains focus on improving the
- Willingness to teach others and participate in competency
- Completes Healthstream modules in a timely manner
- Participates in all staff meetings for department and facility
for informative and educational purposes.
- Demonstrates highly effective communication skills with staff,
management, physicians, patients, and family members.
- Establishes and maintains exceptional service to all customers
including physicians, patients and employees with the goal of
delighting all customers.
- Participates in service recovery by taking ownership of the
situation and correcting problems. Keeps customers informed of
progress related to clinical operations and provides comfort,
information and assistance during the process.
- Models appropriate interaction with physicians, patients and
staff to ensure high level of service in all areas of
- Reviews daily schedule and prepares patient care areas based
upon types of procedures and specific patient care needs.
- Communicates changes in status as necessary to physicians,
family members, and other staff.
- Completes physical and psycho/social assessment.
- Complete and document physician orders, obtain necessary
diagnostic test results and notifies appropriate physicians and
staff regarding variances and/or concerns.
- Completes and documents discharge phone calls and reports
problems and/or concerns.
- Completes the Nursing Notes and assures all patients have met
the discharge criteria prior to discharge; and provides all
patients specific discharge instructions.
- Assures the delivery of quality clinical care through
participation in SP benchmarking programs.
- Assures facility clinical policies and procedures are
- Maintains a safe clinical environment, adheres to all patient
care safety requirements.
- Reviews and participates in performance improvement
- Medical record documentation is accurate, legible, and in
accordance with federal and accrediting standards.
- Participates in quality improvement activities.
- Conserves resources and minimizes cost when possible.
- Participates and assists with implementation of cost saving
initiatives for the department.
- Communicates ideas for cost containment and reducing
- Appropriate staffing levels and overtime is below established
- Medical record documentation should be completed accurately for
- Through competency and customer service, employee will
contribute to the growth of the facility.
- Employee communicates service line development ideas with
- Employee engages in customer service conversations with
physicians as adjunct to facility marketing initiatives.
This position offers premium pay, shift differentials (if
applicable), a full suite of medical benefits, 401K, tuition
reimbursement, and an opportunity to grow with an outstanding
This description is intended to provide only basic guidelines for
meeting job requirements. Responsibilities, knowledge, skills,
abilities and working conditions may change as needs evolve.This
position offers premium pay, shift differentials (if applicable), a
full suite of medical benefits, 401K, tuition reimbursement, and an
opportunity to grow with an outstanding organizationThis
description is intended to provide only basic guidelines for
meeting job requirements. Responsibilities, knowledge, skills,
abilities and working conditions may change as needs evolve.
ExperienceOrthopedic Med Surg Experience Preferred (preferred)
Keywords: Surgery Partners, San Antonio , RN Inpatient - Nights - PRN, Healthcare , San Antonio, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!