RN - PeriAnesthesia - PACU - Post Anesthesia Care
Company: South Texas Spine & Surgical Hospital
Location: San Antonio
Posted on: September 21, 2023
RN - PeriAnesthesiaPeriAnesthesia Registered Nurse
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Under the supervision of the PeriAnesthesia Director, the
PeriAnesthesia Registered Nurse is responsible for providing
peri-operative patient case in accordance with sound nursing
judgment, regulatory and accreditation standards, and the
facility's mission, vision, and values. The position must provide
direct and indirect patient care across the age continuum; and
utilize the nursing process of assessment, planning,
implementation, and evaluation according to policies and procedures
of the facility which will include the Hospital Outpatient
Administrative responsibilities include internal physician
marketing, cost awareness, and adherence to staffing schedule.
Supervises other Registered Nurses as requested; and directs
ancillary staff in the Pre-Operative and Post-Operative areas.
Responsible to assist with administrative tasks related to Risk
Management, Employee Health, Infection Control, Performance
Improvement, and Clinical Recruitment/Retention. In conjunction
with nursing leadership, the PeriAnesthesia Registered Nurse may
assist with development and implementation of policies and
procedures, which assure that cost effective, safe, and high
quality of care is implemented.
Projects a professional demeanor and appearance while maintaining
the confidentiality of patients, coworkers, and facility
information and adhering to the HIPAA policy. Reports, in good
faith, any known or suspected activity that appears to violate
laws, rules, regulations or the SP Code of Conduct. Fulfills annual
Cornerstone continuing education requirements.
Personal attributes include the ability to be self-directed;
demonstrates accountability, professionalism, and receptiveness to
change; seeks guidance, direction, and assistance when needed.
Works under stress and in situations that demand patience, stamina,
endurance, and tact while providing impeccable service. Fosters an
attitude of teamwork and willingness to assist others and does not
refuse performing other job duties as requested. May also be
required to interchange from facility to Hospital Outpatient
Department as needed. Set's priorities, responds timely to issues,
which require a decision, and ensure desired results are achieved
by means of consistent follow through.
The patient population served by South Texas Spine & Surgical
Hospital is a minimum of 12 years and/or of adult stature to
geriatric patients requiring or seeking pain and/or surgical
intervention. In addition, our hospital outpatient department
patient population served by South Texas Spine & Surgical Hospital
is a minimum of 6 months to geriatric patients.
May be expected to lift up to 50 pounds or up to 150 pounds with
assistance. May be expected to push or pull 150-300 pounds with
assistance. Work is of medium demand; walking or standing most of
the time while on duty. Visual and auditory acuity and manual
dexterity essential to performing designated duties required.
Optimal auditory acuity required. Manual dexterity involving the
handling of equipment and instruments or armamentarium is essential
to performing assigned duties. Physical conditions are clean, neat
and well lit. May be subjected to unpleasant sights and odors,
stressful situations and hazardous or infectious agents where
judgment as to precautions needed to be taken is essential. Climate
control and ambient temperature variances may be experienced and
required by patient care and needs of the surgical team. Hours of
duty may be irregular or unexpectedly extended due to the
requirements of the job.
OSHA Exposure Classification:
Job Category I. Direct contact with blood or other body fluids to
which standard precautions apply. Personal protective equipment is
made available and must be worn.
* Demonstrates eligibility for employment in the U.S.
* Graduate of a school of professional nursing with current and
valid licensure with Texas State Board of Nursing as a Registered
* BLS & ACLS required or obtained within 30 days of hire and PALS
certification required within 60 days of hire.
* 2 years of nursing experience required in ICU/Emergency
Room/Recovery Room or other critical care-nursing environment
* Is aware of professional nursing standard and performs in
accordance with them.
* Knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices, and procedures
within a particular field.
* Knowledge of state, federal and accrediting body regulations and
standards related to healthcare.
* Ability to relate and work effectively with others.
* Ability to read, write and communicate effectively in English,
with additional languages preferred.
* Demonstrates ability to comprehend written and oral
* Willingness to participate in goal-setting and educational
activities for his/her own professional advancement and that of
* Must be computer literate with basic fundamental computer skills
that are required to perform essential job related duties.
Duties and Responsibilities:
* Adheres to staffing schedules, attendance policy, and cooperates
with daily assignments as requested.
* All full-time Registered Nurses are required to participate in
the On-Call rotation for PACU.
* Demonstrates skills as a team player. As a Registered Nurse,
shows appropriate delegation, while directing and supervising
ancillary personnel in planning, implementing, monitoring and
evaluating patient care in the pre-operative/post-operative
clinical areas according to accepted standards. May be requested to
perform charge duties.
* Provides direct patient care in the assigned clinical areas and
demonstrates clinical competence.
* Participates in orientation of new staff, ensures facility morale
exemplifies the mission and values of the center.
* Demonstrates ability to solve problems timely and constructively;
maintains focus on improving the situation.
* Willingness to teach others and participate in competency
* Completes Cornerstone modules in a timely manner annually.
* Participates in all staff meetings for department and facility
for informative and educational purposes.
* Maintains skills required to be fully cross-trained in all areas
of PeriAnesthesia and participate in the week-end PACU call
schedule unless employment status is PRN.
* Demonstrates highly effective communication skills with staff,
management, physicians, patients, and family members.
* Establishes and maintains exceptional services to all customers
including physicians, patients and employees with the goal of
delighting all customers.
* Participates in service recovery by taking ownership of the
situation and correcting problems. Keeps customers informed of
progress related to clinical operations and provides comfort,
information, and assistance during the process.
* Models appropriate interaction with physicians, patients and
staff to ensure high level of service in all areas of
* Reviews daily schedule and prepares patient care areas based upon
types of procedures and specific patient care needs.
* Communicates changes in status as necessary to physicians, family
members, and other staff.
* Initiates physical and psycho/social assessment and pre-operative
plan of care, identifies patient and obtains informed consent.
* Completes and documents a pre-operative interview, obtains
necessary diagnostic test results and notifies appropriate
physicians and staff regarding variances and/or concerns.
* Completes and documents post-operative phone calls and reports
problems and/or concerns.
* Completes the Post-Anesthesia record and assures all patients
have met the discharge criteria prior to discharge; and provides
all patients post-operative instructions.
* Assures the delivery of quality clinical care through
participation in SP benchmarking programs.
* Assures facility clinical policies and procedures are
* Maintains a safe clinical environment, adheres to all patient
care safety requirements.
* Reviews and participates in performance improvement
* Medical record documentation is accurate, legible, and in
accordance with federal and accrediting standards.
* Participates in quality improvement activities.
* Conserves resources and minimizes cost when possible.
* Participates and assists with implementation of cost saving
initiatives for the department.
* Communicates ideas for cost containment and reducing expense.
* Appropriate staffing levels and overtime is below established
* Medical record documentation should be completed accurately for
* Through competency and customer service, employee will contribute
to the growth of the facility.
* Employee communicates service line development ideas with
* Employee engages in customer service conversations with
physicians as adjunct to facility marketing initiatives.
Keywords: South Texas Spine & Surgical Hospital, San Antonio , RN - PeriAnesthesia - PACU - Post Anesthesia Care, Healthcare , San Antonio, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!