Legal Assistant - Removal
Location: San Antonio
Posted on: November 20, 2023
Job Details Level Entry Job Location Crestway Office - San
Antonio, TX Position Type Full Time Education Level Not Specified -
Salary Range $21.16 - $25.97 Hourly Travel Percentage Up to 25%
Join our RAICES Team!
Are you ready to join our dedicated team operating on the national
frontlines fighting for immigration rights? The ideal candidate
shares our vision of a compassionate society where all people have
the right to migrate and human rights are guaranteed. RAICES has
many opportunities to contribute, grow, and thrive in a fast-paced
environment that values dedication and collaboration. Starting
salary is commensurate with experience.
Who We Are
We are a 501(c)(3) nonprofit agency that promotes justice by
providing free and low-cost legal services to underserved immigrant
children, families, and refugees. As an organization that combines
expertise developed from the daily practice of immigration law with
a deep commitment to advocacy, RAICES is unique among immigration
organizations. We provide a holistic approach to immigrants. RAICES
not only assists immigrants in navigating through complicated
immigration laws, but we also assist immigrants with social needs
through case management and providing assistance with housing.
RAICES advocates that justice is an inherent human right that
should be awarded to everyone regardless of age, religion, country
of origin, sexual orientation, or ability to pay for legal
What We Do
We defend the rights of immigrants and refugees, empower
individuals, families, and communities, and advocate for liberty
Protecting the health and safety of employees and clients remains
essential. We currently practice social distancing and encourage
masks in all public areas. RAICES is using a phased-in approach to
return staff to resume in-office operations.
This position will require working remotely and in-office at the
assigned work location. Applicants must be adaptable and open to
working in both environments.
PLEASE NOTE: All employees are assigned to an office location. The
expectation is that you live within the area to commute to and from
the office as business or client needs require.
Hybrid Work Plan
- Currently, all interviews are virtual.
- All positions will require working remotely and in-office at
the assigned work location.
- Applicants must reside in the state of Texas.
- Relocation assistance may be provided to candidates willing to
What We Offer
A career at RAICES offers the opportunity to work with a team of
professionals driven by our passion for advocating for immigrant
rights. Our total rewards package offers comprehensive medical,
dental, and vision benefits! Additional benefits include:
- Generous PTO, plus 14 paid Holidays
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Spending Account
- Dependent Care Account
- Parental & Family Leave
- 403(b) - no waiting period on eligibility and immediate vesting
after 90 days
- Salary is commensurate with experience
RAICES is an equal employment opportunity employer. Qualified
candidates are considered for employment without regard to race,
color, religion, gender (including gender identity, gender
expression, change of sex, and transgender status), sexual
orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, military or veteran
status, physical or mental disability, medical condition,
pregnancy, marital status, genetic information, or any other
characteristic protected by applicable law. If you need assistance
or accommodation during the application process because of a
disability, it is available upon request.
Legal Assistants assist a team or an individual attorney to provide
zealous representation of individuals pursuing benefits or seeking
relief under the Immigration and Nationality Act.
- Assists attorneys with their caseload providing direct
representation to individuals eligible for immigration
- Meets with clients both in-person and telephonically and
prepares applications for review;
- Prepares filings for individuals before the Department of
Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, and
others; Handles incoming and outgoing mail remotely;
- Gathers supporting documents and prepares
- Assumes general administrative responsibilities, including
detailed case management and timekeeping;
- Gathers, tracks and records client data; and,
- Manages both electronic and paper case files including client
- Conducts initial interviews ("Legal Screenings") in accordance
with RAICES policy:
- Screens clients for persecution, trafficking, and torture
utilizing trauma-informed approaches to provide services and
support to clients;
- Provides referrals for released clients in accordance with
- Assists with Advocacy efforts and community outreach;
- May Provide Pro Se assistance to prospective clients;
- May conduct Know Your Rights Presentation using approved
- May travel to detention facilities/shelters and other locations
locally and/or statewide, as needed;
- May provide support to volunteers;
- All additional responsibilities required by the unit;
- Other tasks as assigned.
Qualifications: Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor's Degree or one year experience in a law office
setting or working with the relevant community or
- Grant requirements may include bilingual (English/Spanish)
- Experience in immigration and/or criminal law.
- Bilingual or multilingual preferred
- Experience in immigration and/or criminal law
- Must demonstrate behavior that aligns with RAICES' mission,
vision, and values - Empowerment, Excellence, Compassion, Inclusion
and being proactive;
- Able to communicate cross-culturally and work in a
multicultural setting with patience and compassion with diverse
- Ability to work independently and as part of a diverse,
- Strong organizational and time-management skills; and
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Keywords: RAICES, San Antonio , Legal Assistant - Removal, Legal , San Antonio, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!