Purpose of Job
"We are seeking a talented Director- Enterprise Innovation (USAA
Labs) for our San Antonio, TX facility. This person may also sit in
either Plano, TX or Phoenix, AZ, or may also sit remotely in a 100%
Remote Work Environment.
This position is intended for someone who has a proven passion
for both innovation and technology. Supports USAAs strategic
objectives by leading technical teams in research and testing
innovations focused on resolving CoSA problems and strategic
roadmaps. The new leader will have technical responsibility of both
Emerging Technology innovation efforts and our Member Innovation
Advises executive management and multiple teams, and provides
high level consulting and influence on business initiatives. This
position acts as an operational delegate of EMG (Executive
Management Group). Directs, plans, and organizes activities of
professional and administrative staff engaged in providing
information technology services. Provides for technical leadership
in the plan, design, development, testing, implementation, or
maintenance of business solutions. Leads and directs change
management, process improvement, or technical support initiatives
cross-departmentally and within assigned unit. Provides long- and
short-term strategic direction and analytical support and directs
business plan development to execute initiatives"
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial
security of millions of U.S. military members and their families.
This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking
at every level. In each of the past five years, we've been a top-40
Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For, and we've ranked among
Victory Media's Top 10 Military Friendly Employers 13 years
straight. We embrace a robust veteran workforce and encourage
veterans and veteran spouses to apply.
ABOUT USAA IT
Our most important qualification isn't technical, it's human.
Here, we don't just sit in front of a screen. We stand behind our
12 million members who rely on us every day.
We are over 5,000 employees strong, a passionately supportive
and collaborative team built on agile principles. We've been a
top-two Computerworld 100 Best Places to Work in IT five years in a
row and were recently named a Top 50 Employer for Minority
Engineers & IT by Workforce Diversity Magazine.
See what it's like to work for a company where your passion
meets our purpose:
USAA Information Technology: A Realistic Preview
* HUMAN RESOURCES: Second level people management
responsibilities including hiring, termination, performance
management and pay management.
* Provides formal and informal training and coaching to
units/teams in expected behavior and activities.
* Monitors and tracks progression of unit goals and
* DOMAIN: Operational Management (Day-to-Day): Accountable for
the day-to-day operation of technical domains.
* Relies heavily on seniors and leads within their respective
teams for functional execution.
* Regularly identifies, monitors and evaluates key metrics to
ensure health and progress within respective domains.
* Anticipates and responds appropriately to new demands,
priorities, challenges, or obstacles.
* Advises executives and/or senior directors in defining
organizational goals and strategic plans.
* FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT: Each Director is expected to manage and
forecast unit level expenses which may include department
allocations, Product/Component, 3rd Party, project/program,
software and vendor expenses.
* CUSTOMER RELATIONSHIP MANAGEMENT: Effectively manages
relationships with IT and Business teams (cross-functionally) on
operational and strategic efforts.
* Builds relationships and influences leadership outside of
* Identifies and leads cross-departmental improvement
* Makes significant impacts external to their primary
* Self identifies improvements and leads initiatives in
partnership with other I/T departments.
* VENDOR RELATIONSHIP MANAGEMENT: Manages and leverages the
relationship with 3rd Party vendors to ensure achievement of domain
* May be responsible for vendor management activities including
service agreements, staff augmentation and technology
* Bachelor's degree required, or 4 additional years of related
experience beyond the minimum required in lieu of a degree.
* 8 or more years of experience in a business, analytical or
technology support function to include 5 or more years as a team
lead or manager in a relevant business function or technology
*Qualifications may warrant placement in a different job
When you apply for this position, you will be required to answer
some initial questions. This will take approximately 5 minutes.
Once you begin the questions you will not be able to finish them at
a later time and you will not able to change your responses.
* Experience working in an Agile/SAFe environment
* Experience with relevant software development technologies and
understanding of CICD.
* 5+ years of formal people leadership experience
* Proven examples of leveraging 10% innovation time and
* Experience inspiring and leading teams of technical experts to
think differently when solving business related problems and
The above description reflects the details considered necessary
to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be
construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements
that may be performed in the job.
At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits package in
the business, including a flexible business casual or casual dress
environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along
with wellness and wealth building programs. Additionally, our
career path planning and continuing education will assist you with
your professional goals.
Relocation assistance is available for this position.
For Internal Candidates:
Must complete 12 months in current position (from date of hire
or date of placement), or must have managers approval prior to
Last day for internal candidates to apply to the opening is
10/13/20 by 11:59 pm CST time .