It's a great feeling to work for a company that does so much
good for others around the world!
Position: Director of Accounts Payable and Purchasing
Reports to: Executive Vice President Chief Financial Officer
Status: Full time equivalent
Education: Bachelor's degree in accounting; Certified Purchasing
Manager (CPM) preferred.
Experience: Five (5) plus years of experience in procurement and
accounts payable. Experience in nonprofit environment preferred.
Experience with audits, understanding of experience with complex
accounting, internal controls, financial systems, financials
statements and processes. Experience with working with multiple
companies and a similar size agency ($300 million plus)
Supervises: Accounts Payable Department
Critical Action Items:
1. Responsible for all aspects of supervising, processing, and
managing daily activities for accounts payable functions including
but not limited to vendor relations and check disbursements of the
2. Prepare authorized checks for mailing and distributions by
verifying the accuracy of payment authorizations within the BCFS
System to include ensuring verification of proper invoice amounts,
past due balances and credit memos, and exemption of sales tax
3. Ensure timely and accurate payment of all check requests,
wires, and invoices
4. Resolve and correct coding issues with appropriate personnel
in a timely manner, usually withing one business day
5. Responsible for the integrity of the Accounts Payable vendor
master files, including proper controls around new vendor setup and
6. Serve as the ultimate point of escalation for all past due
AP, tax, invoice processing/matching, duplicate payment, and vendor
7. Responsible for planning and design of Accounts Payable staff
to accommodate new volume, changes in technology, and compliance
8. Evaluates, recommends, and develops agency-wide policies and
procedures for the implementation of standards that represent best
methods for purchasing and accounts payable while conforming to
state statutes, regulations and laws governing federal grants,
cooperative agreements, and federal contracts
9. Analyzes, reviews, and makes recommendations in procurement
and accounts payable services, policies, and procedures.
10. Ensures all federal, state, local, and department reports
are prepared, maintained, and submitted timely including but not
limited to1099 filing with appropriate agencies and tax related
11. Improve AP procedures, processes, and staff productivity by
monitoring department metrics against benchmarks and assessment
against AP best practices
12. Maintain job manual for position with regular updates to
describe processes when substitutions are needed.
13. Manages monthly closing of AP and posting of month-end
information and ensures the accuracy of financial statements
including timely completion of Account Reconciliations
14. Proactively coordinate with vendors/and program directors to
ensure timely receipt of vendor invoices and accrue for any
expenses for service rendered/materials received for which invoices
have not been received.
15. Ensure all expenses are accounted in the same month,
minimize, and eliminate any out of period expenses.
16. Review AP ledger and hold daily or weekly touchpoints with
the team to discuss processing metrics, past due vendor
accounts/invoices, missed discounts, and recommend process
17. Conducts periodic training workshops to other departments to
promote awareness of requisition system and Pcard reporting.
18. Participates in the year-end closing process by ensuring
that year-end processes and procedures are completed to close out
procurement relevant documents.
19. Responsible for providing supporting documentation during
desk reviews and year end audit.
20. Ability to independently prepare reports, presentations, and
correspondence with minimal guidance.
1. Demonstrate understanding of accounting principles, including
debits/credits, standard account reconciliations, intercompany
transactions, and journal entries
2. Knowledge of 1099 IRS reporting requirements
3. Extensive knowledge of payable management process, including
4. Prior management experience
5. Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
6. Ability to write procedures, processes, and policies
7. Ability to communicate with all levels with the organization,
8. Ability to maintain accuracy in very detailed work
environment, highly detailed oriented
The BCFS System is committed to following immunization
recommendations produced by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control
(CDC). As such, our company policy requires that all employees must
receive an annual Influenza vaccination or obtain an approved
exemption from the BCFS System as a medical or religious
accommodation. This is a condition of employment and all new hires
will be responsible for providing proof. Additional information
regarding this policy requirement will be provided upon hire.
English (United States)
If you like to work with people that believe they can make a
difference in the world, this is the company for you!
It is the policy of BCFS System of Companies and its affiliated
organizations to provide equal employment opportunity and treat all
employees equally regardless of age, race, creed/religion, color,
national origin, immigration status or citizenship status, sexual
orientation, military or veteran status, sex/gender, gender
identity, gender expression, disability, genetic information or
genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status,
partnership status, victim of domestic violence, sexual or other
reproductive health decisions, or other characteristics protected
by applicable law.
Click here to view the "EEO is the law" poster